A Travellerspoint blog

June 14, 15 Neys Provincial Park

Rain, hiking on wet and slippery trails, fog

rain 10 °C

June 14

After returning to our campsite at Neys, the rains started in earnest. It was a sloppy afternoon and evening which prompted us to have a wine and cheese supper watching part 2 of the Gangs of New York. In retrospect, this is one crappy movie, but entertaining enough on a rainy eve.

June 15

Did we say it rained? Hell, after midnight and on into the new day it poured down. By dawn it was down to mist and fog, deep relentless fog. We decided that this day would be a car free day. We've been on the road for 15 days, and have not spent one day yet without driving somewhere. We are also craving some exercise, so we got out our rain gear and planned on spending at least 5 hours outdoors.

We use a GPS watch which tracks time and distance hiked, so we can keep track of our exercise. Our morning walk started out along the fogged in shore of Lake Superior, and then we moved inland a bit to get out of the cold wind. We came upon the Dune Trail and decided to take it.


It was a lovely hike up and down the dune area inland from the shore.

Back in the 1940's Neys was a prisoner of war camp and the dune bulldozed to make way for barracks. More than 650 German airmen and sailors were kept here from 1941 until the end of the war. They were employed in forestry during their time and were paid $0.50 per day, to be paid upon their release after the war.

In the 1960's the boy scouts replanted the dune area in red pine, planted in rows, very much like a farm would be. Those pines are now mature and stretch off into the distance like soldiers standing at attention.

The visitor centre is closed until June 30, but this sculpture of a lake trout stands in front of it.


By the time we returned to our campsite for lunch, we had hiked more than 4 kilometers and spent over 2 hours outdoors. We had lunch, did up our laundry and headed out for a second, more ambitious hike.

This time we walked a kilometer and a half along the beach and headed up the moderately difficult Lookout Trail.


Nothing makes a moderate hike difficult more than wet surfaces. The entire trail was filled with water, either falling off rocks all around us, or in our feet as we tried to navigate the trail. It was loads of fun despite the crappy weather.



This was supposed to be a spectacular view of the lake from the top of the hill:


We sloshed our way out and by the time we returned to our camp we had covered another 5 kilometers, making our total for the day over 9 kilometers. A worthy effort on what would have been a lost day otherwise.

We are headed on to Sleeping Giant Provincial Park, near Thunder Bay for 4 more days on Lake Superior. The weather forecast is for improvement, so that could be a good thing.

So far we have traveled 3,750 kilometers from home in Nova Scotia. We have now seen 4 R-pods. We talked to the owners of a 2016 model 180 in Marathon, Ontario. They are headed to Lake Paul, Nova Scotia, about 20 kilometers from our home in Aylesford.

Posted by Rooseboom-Scott 08:46 Archived in Canada

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


We had our first R-pod spotting yesterday.

by Karmen Reid

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.